The Income Tax and payrollcertificate of achievement is intended for students desiring to enter the taxpreparation and/or payroll field with a minimum of course requirements.Students will be able to gain the knowledge and analytical tools necessary to usefinancial data effectively in preparing a variety of tax returns withspecialized training in payroll. Common duties performed include payroll taxreporting, payroll accounting systems maintenance, and posting payrolltransactions for journals/ledgers.
We expect 15 to complete this program each year.
1. Providestudents with the academic preparation needed for a career in tax and/orpayroll.
2. Providestudents currently working in various tax and/or payroll positions theadditional and necessary skills to advance to new positions.
3. Providestudents with an opportunity to obtain a certificate acknowledging theircompletion of the courses and a tool for obtaining gainful employment as anentry-level tax preparer and/or payroll clerk.
Theobjective of the Tax and Payroll Certificate is to provide skills throughtraditional teaching methods and contextual learning techniques with anemphasis on practical "hands on" education that will give thestudents an added "edge" in the job. It will provide students withbasic accounting skills combined with training in payroll and tax.
1. Developin the student a broad-based skill set or competencies that will lead tosuccess working as a tax preparer or payroll clerk.
2. Utilizea sequence of courses with industry advised curriculum input that will lead toimprovement of entry level skills and abilities of future employees.
3. Organizethe curriculum into a recognized credit program that is acknowledged on thestudent transcripts.
4. Identifycareer ladder opportunities in tax/payroll field.
Theproposed Rio Hondo College Certificate of Achievement (COA) for Tax and Payrollprovides students with basic tax and payroll skills and knowledge necessary toobtain entry-level support positions in small and medium-sized businesses.
Thisconforms to the community college’s goal of helping students achieve theireducational goals by providing comprehensive educational program to studentsincluding basic skills, vocational education and economic developmentopportunities.
Itwill also increase the number of students who will complete a degree andimprove success and retention rates since this COA is a milestone achievementfor those students working towards an Accounting Certificate of Achievement oran Associate Degree in Accounting.
Asthis COA is being created due to the increasing demand for employees in the accountingfield, this certificate also serves to meet the lifelong learning needs of thecommunity by offering a program based on community interest.
(Y1 or S1)
|ACCT 105||Income Tax Accounting||4||S2|
|ACCT 108||Volunteer Income Tax Assistance 1||1||S3|
|ACCT 109||Volunteer Income Tax Assistance||1||S4|
|ACCT 101||Financial Accounting||4||S1|
|ACCT 103||Payroll Accounting||3||S3|
|ACCT 106||Computerized Accounting||3||S4|
If the student takes 4 units each semester then they will complete in 2 years. If the student takes 8 units each semester then they will complete in 1 year.