This certificate prepares students for a career in 2-dimensional graphic design, emphasizing layout, typography, and correct color models. Students produce real-world projects in an environment of a live, production facility with strong emphasis on deadlines and intended market, using the latest equipment and software available.
Completer projections is 48 students annually.
The BasicGraphic Design certificate, offered by the Applied Digital Media and Printing program, provides prospective learners from a diverse community with hands-on training in the fields of graphic design. Successful completion of this career-technical program will equip students with foundational skills and practical knowledge in all aspects of design elements, design principles, and multimedia design production. Possible career outcomes for this program include: graphic designer, multimedia designer, graphic artist, layout artist, illustrator and web designer. Relevancy of this program is maintained via annual input from an advisory committee, employment data and industry feedback.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
· Create an advertisement suitable for a portfolio that displays consistent color harmony and the effective use of the principles and elements of design.
· Create a graphics project from concept to prepared artwork considering color model, resolution, target market, and, if applicable, assign substrates and inks for its production.
· Analyze and explain methods and techniques to design aesthetically pleasing and effective typographic communication.
· Utilize various digital image-editing tools to edit, retouch, manipulate, enhance, optimize and composite raster-based images for a broad range of graphic design and digital media usages.
· Understand the technical differences and strategical advantages of raster-based and vector-based images for various design outputs and digital applications.
| ADM 1 |
| Introduction to Applied Digital Media & Printing |
Typography and Graphic Design
| 3 |
| ADM 63A |
| Design for Print Publication |
Adobe Photoshop for Image Manipulation
Adobe Illustrator for Graphic Art
| 3 |
Diann Thursby · 09/24/19
Received regional recommendation at 9-23-19 IEDRC Deans Meeting.