This program prepares students for a wide variety of careers in graphic design and digital media production. This includes instruction in graphic design, typography, digital illustration, photo manipulation, web design, animation, motion graphics, advertising design, entertainment graphics, and production art, using the latest equipment and software available. Classes are structured to give strong academic and hands-on experience for entry into the graphic design and digital media industry.
Enrollment Completer Projections are approximately 45 students annually.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
· Demonstrate graphic design and layout principles consistent with the principles and elements of design.
· Analyze and explain methods and techniques to design aesthetically pleasing and effective typographic communication.
· Utilize various digital image-editing tools to edit, retouch, manipulate, enhance, optimize and composite raster-based images for a broad range of graphic design and digital media usages.
· Understand he technical differences and advantages of raster-based and vector-based images for various design outputs and digital applications.
· Understand the unique challenges of creating rich content for today’s digital, mobile and cross-platform design environment.
· Create effective motion graphics designs and multimedia animations for various marketing, advertising and promotional narratives.
· Demonstrate solid understanding in today’s modern web technology, website structure and the importance of user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) in the context of digital design.
· Utilize various web design and web development tools effectively in order to create digital content for a wide range of online distribution, promotion and e-commerce.
· Understand the technical differences and advantages of various digital, video and audio file formats in the context of graphic design and digital media.
The ADM program prepares students for the following careers in graphic design and digital media: production artist, junior graphic designer, graphic designer, art director, digital illustrator, advertising designer, brand designer, digital 2D animator, 3D animator, motion graphics designer, web designer, rich content creator, multimedia designer, image editor and design marketing.
Students will take the required courses plus an emphasis elective and general education courses (when going for the degree)
Required Courses (38 units) Units
ADM-1 Introduction to Applied Digital Media 3
ADM-2A ColorSystems and File Management 2
ADM-55 Business Management for Graphic Communications 3
ADM-62 Typography and Graphic Design 3
ADM-63A Design for Print Publication 3
ADM-63B Design for Electronic Publication 3
ADM-70 Project Production and Portfolio 3
ADM-71A AdobePhotoshop for Image Manipulation 3
ADM-71B AdobePhotoshop, Advanced 3
ADM-77A Adobe Illustrator for Graphic Art 3
ADM-77B Adobe Illustrator, Advanced 3
| ADM 1 |
| Introduction to Applied Digital Media & Printing |
Color Systems and File Management
Typography and Graphic Design
| 3 |
| ADM 63A |
| Design for Print Publication |
Adobe Photoshop for Image Manipulation
Adobe Illustrator for Graphic Art
| 3 |
| ADM 63B |
| Design for Electronic Publication |
Adobe Photoshop, Advanced
Adobe Illustrator, Advanced
| 3 |
| ADM 55 |
Elective (6 units from list below)
| Business Management for Graphic Communications || 3 ||4th Semester|
DigitalMedia Production Emphasis:
FTV-64A Beginning Digital Editing Principles andTechniques 3
PHO-20 Introduction to Digital Photography 3
Motion Graphics Emphasis:
ADM-67 Multimedia Animation 3
ADM-69 Motion Graphics and Special Effects with After Effects 3
Digital Animation Emphasis:
ADM-68A 3D Animation with Maya I 3
ADM-68B 3D Animation with Maya II 3
ART-50A BeginningStoryboarding 3
ART-50B IntermediateStoryboarding 3
Digital Illustration Emphasis:
ART-36A Computer Art- Introduction 3
ART-36B Computer Art-Intermediate 3
Web Design Emphasis:
ADM-74A Web Design 3
ADM-74B Web Design with Dreamweaver 3
CIS-72A Introduction to Web Page Creation 1.5
CIS-72B Intermediate Web Page Creation usingCascading Style Sheets (CSS) 1.5
CIS-76B Adobe Dreamweaver 3
Diann Thursby · 10/15/19
Received regional recommendation at 10-14-19 IEDRC Deans Meeting.