Advanced Certificate in Film Production
Film Production (061220)
Projected Start Date
Digital film and video technology has transformed filmmaking, making it possible to produce independent movies and video projects without huge budgets, expensive cameras or large crews. This development allows many different organizations today use film and video as part of their work. Whether the goal is to fulfill a personal artistic vision, market a product or advance a cause, the fundamental need to tell a story remains paramount, and film is a powerful means to do it.
In this six course certificate program, students receive direct, hands-on experience creating visual stories that are intelligent, emotional, compelling, succinct and informative. The program covers the primary aspects of film production, including scripting, camera, sound, directing, editing and broadcasting. Students will learn:
• Visual storytelling concepts, including story development, script format, film vocabulary, production tools, filmmaking protocol and workflow
• Directing and producing techniques including camera placement, blocking scenes, directing on-camera performers, documentary interviewing, communicating with collaborators and crew management,
• Camera skills including basic camera angles, moving image composition and lighting
• Audio recording fundamentals, basic sound editing and mixing
• Editing skills including how to write and shoot with the edit in mind, and creating visual effects and graphics
The Advanced Certificate builds on the foundation offered by the Basic Certificate to provide a platform from which to launch further study of film production as well as necessary industry skills, processes and practices to work on a film crew, produce an independent film, create and run a small film/video business and moneitize video in the many social media outlets available today. This certificate also gives students crucial communication and storytelling tools they may apply in almost any area of study where film and video are utilized today. Students emerge with short films and other film project materials for their personal or professional portfolio.
Enrollment Completer Projections
2018/2019: 10 Enrolled / 10 Completers
2019 / 2020: 15 Enrolled / 15 Completers
2020 / 2021: 20 Enrolled / 20 Completers