The School Library Media Center Certificate is designed to prepare students with the skills and knowledge needed to run a school library media center. Students with little or no experience working in libraries will gain a valuable understanding of common job requirements for work in school library media centers. Students who are currently employed in school libraries will gain an improved understanding of their jobs and potentially increase their employment opportunities.
The department anticipates 25 completers at the end of the second year of offering this new certificate.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
· manage a school library media center.
· describe the skills and personal qualities that make an effective library paraprofessional.
· describe the philosophical and legal foundations of libraries and the history, mission, roles, and organization of various types of libraries and networks.
· describe the processes required for acquiring and maintaining a library collection.
· identify the most appropriate methods for providing library services to a diverse clientele.
· understand the history of the Internet, how it functions,ethical issues relating to it, and how to use informational resources on the Internet to do research.
· select, use, and maintain appropriate equipment for library functions and services; perform basic troubleshooting.
|Course Department Number||Course Title||Annual # Sections||Annual Enrollment Total||Annual # Sections||Annual Enrollment Total|
|LIBT 100||Intro to Library and Info Tech||2||60||2||60|
|LIBT 300||Intro to Library Services||2||60||2||60|
|LIBT 325||Internet Research Skills||2||60||2||60|
|LIBT 330||Library Technical Processes||1||30||1||30|
|LIBT 333||Library/Media Materials and Equipment||1||35||1||35|
|LIBT 340||The School Library Media Center||1||30||1||30|
|LIBT 343||Library Public Services||1||30||1||30|
|LIBT 498 or WEXP 498||Work Experience in Library and Information Technology or Work Experience||1||30||1||30|
|LIBT||100||Introduction to Library and Information Technology||1|
|LIBT||300||Introduction to Library Services||2|
|LIBT||325||Internet Research Skills||3|
|LIBT||330||Library Technical Processes||3|
|LIBT||333||Library/Media Materials and Equipment||1|
|LIBT||340||The School Library Media Center||3|
|LIBT||343||Library Public Services||3|
|LIBT||498||Work Experience in Library and Information Technology (1 -4)||1 - 4|
|or WEXP||498||Work Experience in (Subject) (1 -4)|
|Total Units:||17 - 20|