Certificate of Achievement 18+ Semester (27+ Quarter) Units
The goal of the Hospitality Management Certificate and AA Degree Program is to prepare students for a career in the Hospitality Industry. The competencies of this certificate are based on the knowledge section of o*Net Online Summary report for SOC code 11-9051.00 - Food Service Managers and 43-1011.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers. The list below includes the courses within this certificate that substantially address each competency. This is a vocational instruction program and is therefore, aligned with the California Community Colleges mission as defined in CAL.
Active Listening - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Speaking - CULART 101, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Service Orientation - CULART 101, CULART 160 & CULART 180
Reading Comprehension - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Critical Thinking - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Active Learning - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Monitoring - CULART 180 & CUALRT 240
Coordination - CULART 180 & CUALRT 240
Management of Personnel Resources – CULART 101, CULART 180, CULART 201, CULART 225 & CULART 280
Management of Financial Resources – CULART 101, CULART 180, CULART 201, CULART 225, CULART 280, BUSAD 100 & ACCT 200
Management of Material Resources – CULART 101, CULART 180, CULART 201, CULART 225 & CULART 280
The program‐level student learning objective is:
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will have the opportunity to:
• Understand and practice food and beverage service concepts.
• Manage food, beverage, and human resource costs including monitoring staff and correction principles.
• Establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures.
• Prepare and follow standardized recipes using a variety of cooking techniques which meet industry quality standards.
• Understand and implement customer service using active listening and understanding and communicate effectively.
• Define and articulate the core values of the Hospitality Industry.
• Understand the basics of business within the industry and participate in monitoring activities including self and others.