The Basic Police Officer Certificate of Achievement is designed to serve students seeking either to enter or enhance their careers in the law enforcement profession. The courses in this program will provide the foundational knowledge for a person to enter the profession of law enforcement as a Level-I reserve officer or a full-time police officer.
All of the courses in this Certificate of Achievement already exist at College of the Desert. The Basic Police Officer Training Module-I course has not been offered since 2010. The Module-I course is scheduled for the fall 2020 semester.
We anticipate that the new Certificate of Achievement will increase enrollments by offering students a career pathway closely aligned to the law enforcement profession.
An existing advisory committee is made up of local law enforcement executives representative of state, county, and municipal agencies. This close relationship with public safety industry professionals will enhance opportunities for learning and working in the law enforcement field.
The Certificate of Achievement is intended to represent more than an accumulation of units. Listing of the Certificate of Achievement on a student transcript symbolizes successful completion of patterns of learning experiences designed to develop specified knowledge, skills, and abilities that may be oriented to a career or general education.
The Basic Police Officer Certificate of Achievement will allow successful graduates of the Module-I Basic Peace Officer Training the opportunity to be eligible for employment. This allows students to complete the Certificate program while working part or full-time, with courses offered during weekend days, and lab and lecture courses of instruction and manipulative skills training and evaluations weekday evenings.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of Basic Police Office rCertificate of Achievement, the students will be able to:
· Analyze the various aspects of police work.
· Identify minimum competencies in police functions of most frequent occurrence.
· Apply the concept of teamwork as a member of the criminal justice system.
· Critically compare and contrast basic techniques for evaluating and analyzing occupationally hazardous situations and selection of the appropriate response procedure.
· Be prepared to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Police Reserve Officer– Level I in the state of California.
· Identify criminal statutes and their elements.
· Discuss proper application of safe and tactical firearm techniques.
· Perform techniques for the safe operation of an emergency vehicle at high speed.
· Identify proper application of arrest and control techniques.
· Perform physical fitness exercises as prescribed by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST).
· Be prepared for the POST exam.
· Be prepared for entry-level employment as a peace officer.
Item 3. Program Requirements
The Basic Police Officer Certificate of Achievement will allow successful graduates of the Module-I Basic Peace Officer Training the opportunity to present themselves as viable candidates for employment in a variety of governmental and private industry criminal justice job sectors.
|Dept. Name/#||Course Title||Units||Requirements||Sequence|
|BPOT 003||Basic Peace Officer Training-Module I||19||Required||Fall/Spring|
|Select one course from the following: (3 units)|
|AJ 002||Concepts of Criminal Law||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|AJ 004||Criminal Court Process||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|AJ 006||Criminal Investigation||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|AJ 010||Juvenile Procedures||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|AJ 024||Report Writing||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|AJ 030||Introduction to Corrections||3||Elective||Fall/Spring|
|CERTIFICATE TOTAL||22 Units|