Upon successful completion of the Social Media Certificate of Achievement, the student will demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and training necessary for entry-level employment or career advancement with an understanding of basic business and marketing concepts, including the selection of target audience and choice of platform, concepts of spread and share, engagement, meaningful participation, the use of visuals to define content and attract users, reasons for the spread of viral media, and an understanding of how to build and implement a social media plan for an organization or business utilizing best practices. Ethical considerations and crisis communication will also be explored. Students will work in a manner mirroring industry standards, with focus on immediate professional application.
Annual Completers (projected after program is established): 15
Net Annual Labor Demand Yearly: 41
The goal of the Social Media Certificate of Achievement is to prepare students for the ever-expanding digital job market where social media is considered an essential part of media communications, business, and marketing. Understanding concepts related to spread of content, including why people share, is essential in building and recommending best practices to leverage social media channels in the workplace. Focus will be placed on essential business skills, understanding platforms, and content building. The certificate program serves to build skillset, provide professional training, and affirm an understanding of concepts related to emerging technologies through conceptual learning and hands-on instruction.
Program Learning Outcomes
● Upon successful completion of this program, a student will understand the history and nature of social media, including Web 2.0 principles.
● Upon successful completion of this program, a student will understand ethical and legal issues involved in creating and disseminating social media content, including issues of copyright and fair use.
● Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to understand and apply basic marketing concepts to social media planning, including SWOT and SMART analysis.
● Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to identify the target audience, recommend proper platforms based on demographics, determine the necessary tone, and create a calendar to promote engagement and meaningful participation with users.
● Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to conceptualize, build, and distribute images to boost social media engagement through a marketing plan.
This certificate can be completed, based on scheduling, in as few as two semesters or as many as three. The recommended sequence covers three semesters, with the student taking six units of the certificate each semester. MCOM 1 and MCOM 5 are offered during the summer.
There is a path, too, within the current structure where students on a certain path can take all but one course through distance education. The intention on the Mass Communication side would be to offer the courses in eight weeks, online-only sessions where a student can take MCOM 1 and MCOM 5 in one semester and MCOM 8 and 9 in a second semester, finishing all coursework within the discipline in a year.
In addition, the Business department offers many of the courses as distance education, including: BUS 20, BUS 21, BUS 23, and BUS 29.
The intention is not only to train for entry-level employment but also provide a low-cost alternative for mid-career professionals seeking career advancement.
(Y1 or S1)
|MCOM 1 or BUS 20||Introduction to Mass Communication or Introduction to Business||3||S1|
|MCOM 5||Social Media & Society||3|
|BUS 2||Introduction to E-Commerce||3||S1|
|MCOM 8||Social Media Content||3||S2|
|AREA B||ANY AREA B ELECTIVE||3||S3|
|MCOM 9||Social Media Campaigns||3||S3|
No comments to display
No files to display
Votes were certified on 01/22/20
Kris Costa · 01/08/20
Salvador Vargas · 01/08/20
Bryan Tassey · 01/08/20
Becky Barabe · 01/08/20
Robbie Kunkel · 01/08/20
Pedro · 01/08/20
Thad Russell · 01/09/20
Anthony Cordova · 01/10/20
Jessica Grimes · 01/21/20