The Associate in Science Degree in HealthCare Administration program prepares students for employment as a leaders ofbusiness operations of health care facilities. Students receives instruction on the fundamentals of business and thetheories and practices applied to health care organizations. As part of the management team of a healthcare organization, graduates ensure that the health care organization runssmoothly and patients receive effective and efficient care.
Each cohort will start inthe Fall semester – Year 1. Core courses will be completed during Fall semester – Year 1, Spring semester – Year 1, andFall semester – Year 2. Electives courses will be completed during Spring semester – Year 2. The planned annual cohort size will be 30 students.
1. Prepare students for employment as a leader of business operations of health care facilities.
2. Receive instruction on the fundamentals of business and the theories and practices applied to health care organizations.
Program Learning Outcomes:
1. Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of business theories and practices in health care organizations.
2. Students willbe able to utilize skills from health care, business, economics, andcomputer information systems to manage and lead health care organizations.
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram is classified as “Other –Designed to Meet Community Needs.” TheAssociate of Science in Health Care Administration program is classified underCareer and Technical Education (CTE), whose programs goals and objectives areto prepare students for workforce preparation. The vocational TOP code is classified under 1202.00 – Hospital and Health Care Administration Planning, organizing, and administering a hospitalor other health care facility. The CIPcode is classified under Health Services/Allied Health/Health Sciences, General.
This degree is designed to meet community needs in accordancewith the community college mission.
1. We embrace diversity and serve all students of the community;
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram is designed to train students to become leaders and managers who areemployed in facilities that serve the complex and culturally diverse populationin the Fresno area. Per the UnitedStates census in 2017, Fresno county is 11% Asian and 53% Hispanic.
2. We believe education is based on integrity, generosity, and accountability;
3. We foster critical, creative, and engaged thinking;
4. We support student success by preparing students for their futures and for the community’s future through career/technical certificates, degrees, and transfer programs;
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram is designed for students to learn and practice the skills to obtainemployment as a leader and manager in a health care organization.
5. We cultivate community partnerships to enhance student learning and success;
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram was developed by an Advisory Board, members of who are health careleaders in the Fresno community, which had a direct impact on the curriculum schedule.
6. We engage in reflective, data-driven cycle of research and innovation focused on learning and student outcomes.
As a CTE program at ClovisCommunity College, The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram also fits into the State Center Community College District’s (SCCCD) Missionand Strategic Planning [refer to “SCCCD_Strategic_Plan_2017-2020”].
DISTRICT VISION: Empoweringthrough Educational Excellence
DISTRICT MISSION: State CenterCommunity College District is committed to empowering our colleges in theirefforts to promote exemplary educational opportunities and to provide safe,inclusive, and supportive learning environments leading to student success andglobal competitiveness which will transform our region.
As part of the Clovis Community College program inventory, TheAssociate of Science in Health Care Administration program provides educationalopportunities for our students to learn in an inclusive and supportiveenvironment, earning an associate degree that will allow them entry into our regionalworkforce, and opportunities to expand and be competitive in the healthcarearena.
MASTER STRATEGIC PLAN – OVERARCHING GOALS:
1. Excellence in Education: SCCCD is committed to empowering ourcolleges to cultivate excellence in educational programs and student supportservices.
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram was initiated by college leaders to create CTE programs that would bebased upon the employment needs of the community and provide academicexcellence for our students.
2. Institutional Effectiveness: SCCCD is committed todata-informed but people-driven continuous quality improvement of processes andresources.
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram was developed based upon data-informed and people-driven input of localindustry business leaders to determine the curriculum design (please refer topage 5 of this document).
3. Leader in Higher Education and Community Collaboration: SCCCDis committed to being a force for positive change by expanding partnerships ineducation and workforce development
The Associate of Science in Health Care Administrationprogram allow an opportunity for cooperative work experience to expand uponpartnerships within the community and mold the educational learning of our students.
The Associate of Science inHealth Care Administration program embodies a pattern of learning experiencesthat are focused on specific capabilities or knowledge areas. Student learning outcomes (SLOs) aredeveloped from input by the Health Care Administration advisory board members,who in part, are current industry professionals who know of specific capabilitiesand knowledge areas needed to be employed as a leader and manager of a healthcare organization in the Central Valley area. SLOs are continuously updated and improved based on evaluation ofstudent performance.
Clovis Community College is developing more CTE programs to meet the needs of the community and businessesin the surrounding Fresno area. TheAssociate of Science in Health Care Administration program will be the fourthhealth-related CTE program at Clovis Community College, which is a “stackable”degree to the Certificate of Achievement in Medical Office Administration, buildingupon the college’s existing program inventory of offering programs that focuson community building, diversity, and innovation. Stackable means it can lead to transfer to afour-year university.
Student Selection and Fees: The program is open to enrollment and there is a selection process for admission tothe program, in compliance with provisions of Title 5, sections 55201 and 58106.
(Y1 or S1)
|BIOL-5 OR||Human Biology||4||Year 1, Fall|
Anatomy and Physiology
|4||Year 1, Fall|
|COMM-10||Intercultural Communication||3||Year 1, Fall|
|HCA-5||Introduction to Health Care and Careers||3||Year 1, Fall|
|OT-10||Medical Terminology||3||Year 1, Fall|
|BUS-33||Human Relations in Business||3||Year 1, Spring|
|HCA-104||Medical Billing Procedures||4||Year 1, Spring|
|IS-15||Computer Concepts||3||Year 1, Spring|
|HCA-103 OR||Medical Office Administration||4||Year 1, Spring|
|COTR-19G||Cooperative Work Experience||4||Year 1, Spring|
|BUS-10||Introduction to Business||3||Year 2, Fall|
|ECON-1A OR||Principles of Macroeconomics||3||Year 2, Fall|
|ECON-1B||Principles of Microeconomics||3||Year 2, Fall|
|ENGL-1A||Reading and Composition||4||Year 2, Fall|
|BA-39||Finite Mathematics for Business||3||Year 2, Fall|
Please see grid above.