The Crafton Hills College Fire Academy includes introduction to basic firefighting theory and skills, study of the characteristics and behavior of structure and wild land fires, hazardous materials response techniques, incident command principles, wild land firefighting theory and skills, wild land equipment use, and rescue techniques.
FIRET 115 completes the skills requirements to become a State of California Certified Firefighter I (2013 Version) Completion of these skills is required by most Fire Protection Agencies as the minimum requirements of those persons applying for full and part time employment. Pre-employment training is the main theme of this education and training experience. This course transfers to CSU.
Admission to the Fire Academy is based on the following prerequisite skills:
· Completion of FIRET 100: Fire Protection Organization
· Completion of FIRET 101: Fire Prevention Technology
· Successful completion of the National Registry Examination for the Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) or currently certified as an EMT in California
Additionally, while enrolled in the Fire Academy students are required to be enrolled in the core-requisite class KIN/F 049: Basic Firefighter Physical Fitness. The Department recommendation(s) are as follows:
· Eligibility for ENG 101
· Eligibility for MATH 095 or higher
· Successful completion of FIRET 902
Student Learning Objectives:
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will be able perform the following:
· Proficiently demonstrate the advancing of a 21/2" hose line using the "Working Line" drag method with engine company operations.
· Proficiently demonstrate the advancement of the pre-connected flat hose load with engine company operations.
· Proficiently demonstrate the connection to afire hydrant using the forward hose lay with engine company operations.
· Proficiently demonstrate the carry and deployment of a "One-Person High Shoulder" ground ladder technique.
· Proficiently demonstrate the carry and deployment of a "Two-Person Low Shoulder" ground ladder technique.
· Proficiently demonstrate the carry and deployment of a "Three-Person Flat Shoulder" ground ladder technique.
The course completion rate for the Fire Academy is 91.78%. This completion rate was obtained by taking the average for the last five years. Based off of student enrollment in this course over the last 5 years, enrollment and completion figures are as follows:
• Course Enrollment - 239 students – 47.8 students as annual average.
• Course Completion – 235 students – 47 students as an annual average
Program Proposal Attributes
The overall goals for this course are as follows:
· This course is appropriate to the College's mission in that it is part of a complete vocational education program leading to employment in Firefighting.
· This course is intended to satisfy part of the educational requirements for obtaining an Associate Degree in Fire Science.
· This course is constructed to meet the skills requirements for the State of California Firefighter I certification.
(Y1 or S1)
|FIRET 049||Basic Firefighter Physical Fitness||2||S1|
|FIRET 115||Firefighter 1 Basic Training Academy||14||S1|
Students registering for the program must complete all 16 units.
Diann Thursby · 11/08/18
Received regional recommendation at 11-5-18 IEDRC Deans Meeting.