Students will develop a basic understanding of chemistry, biology, Industrial safety and regulatory as well as developing an understanding of the career options available in the applied sciences and workplace culture and standards. Upon completion of this program students will be able to:
· Students will be able to identify and describe industrial hazards, including hazards in the chemical, biomanufacturing and process industries
· Students will be able to ID and describe GLP and cGMP regulations
· Students will be able to identify the main areas affected by the validation process in the biomanufacturing industry and validation regulations that will require internal and external auditing.
· Students will be able to demonstrate mastery of appropriate industrial protocols and documentation
· Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to calculate solution concentrations, identify chemical compounds, perform unit conversions, apply basic chemistry concepts to solve problems using the scientific method and maintain proper documentation of work activities through the keeping of a lab notebook.
· Students will be able to apply the scientific method to understanding biological principles
· Students will be able to describe basic principles of human biology, such as biochemistry and the cell
· Students will be able to describe different types of bacteria, their staining methods and how they cause disease.
· Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the purpose, fundamentals and regulations of biomanufacturing
· Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the science underlying biomanufacturing
· Students will be able to apply techniques and procedures applicable to biomanufacturing.
The goal of this program is to create a stackable certificate consisting of 5 courses core to all Applied Science CTE Certificates. Students completing this certificate would have a basic understanding of chemistry and biology and their role in Industry, as well as Industrial Safety and Regulatory concerns. Building upon this certificate, students have the option of continuing their coursework to complete a certificate or Associates Degree in Chemical Technology, Process Technology or Biotechnology.
The program requirements for this certificate include completion of Biotech 10 - Introduction to Biomanufacturing, Process Tech 104 - Introduction to Applied Sciences, Process Tech 214 - Industry Trends: Employment and Regulations, Chem 51 - Fundamentals of Chemistry and Bio 003 - Introduction to Biology or Bio 005 - Introduction to Human Biology
(Y1 or S1)
|PRPLTEK 214||Industry Trends: Employment and Regulations||3||Y1|
|PRPLTEK 104||Introduction to Applied Sciences||3||Y1|
|Biotech 10||Introduction to Biomanufacturing||4||Y1|
|Chem 51||Fundamentals of Chemistry||5||Y1|
|Bio 003 or Bio 005||Introduction to Biology OR Introduction to Human Biology||4/4||Y1|