Certificate of Achievement 12-17 Semester (or 17-27 Quarter) Units
The goal of the Hospitality and Restaurant Program is to prepare students for a career in the Hospitality Industry. The competencies of this certificate are based on the knowledge section of o*Net Online Summary report for SOC code 35-9031.00 - Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop and SOC code 35-1012.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers. The list below includes the courses within this certificate that substantially address each competency. This is a vocational instruction program and is therefore, aligned with the California Community Colleges mission as defined in CAL.
Active Listening - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Speaking - CULART 101, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Service Orientation - CULART 101, CULART 160 & CULART 180
Reading Comprehension - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Critical Thinking - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Active Learning - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
Monitoring - CULART 180 & CUALRT 240
Time Management - CULART 101, CULART 160, CULART 180, CULART 225 & CULART 240
The program‐level student learning objective is:
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will have the opportunity to:
• Establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures.
• Prepare and follow standardized recipes using a variety of cooking techniques which meet industry quality standards.
• Understand and implement customer service using active listening and understanding and communicate effectively.
• Define and articulate the core values of the Hospitality Industry.
• Understand the basics of business within the industry and participate in monitoring activities including self and others.